A city in Iowa.
(PF-51: dp. 1,430; l. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k.; a. 2 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1)
Burlington (PF 51) was laid down on 19 October 1943 at Los Angeles, Calif., by the Consolidated Steel Corp. under a Maritime Commission contract (MC huI1 1462); launched on 7 December 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Florence E. Conrad; acquired by the Navy on 31 March 1944; and commissioned on 3 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. E. B. Carlson, USCG, in command.
Following shakedown and post-shakedown availability, the frigate got underway from San Pedro, Calif., on 1 August. Her first assignment took her to Espiritu Santo, where she performed patrol and escort duties in support of operations in western New Guinea. Then, from 16 October to 18 November, Burlington escorted convoys between New Guinea and the Philippine Islands in support of the invasion of Leyte. She departed the war zone on 3 December to return to California and arrived at San Francisco on Christmas Day to begin an availability.
After repairs and preparations for cold weather operations, Burlington departed San Francisco on 18 February 1945 for five months of patrol and escort duty in the Aleutian Islands. Early that summer, the frigate received orders to Tacoma, Wash., for availability in anticipation of a transfer to Russia. After completing repairs between 18 July to 2 August, she headed north on the 8th for Cold Bay, Alaska, where she trained her prospective Russian crew. Burlington was decommissioned on 26 August 1945 and was leased to the Soviet Union the following day. The Soviet Union kept the frigate for a little more than four years, returning her to American custody on 14 November 1949.
After her return, Burlington remained inactive in Japan until after the Korean War broke out late in June 1950. She was then overhauIed and recommissioned on 5 January 1951 at Yokosuka, Japan. After shakedown and training exercises in the Yokosuka area, Burlington sailed to Korean waters. From 14 March to 24 April, the frigate operated in Wonsan Harbor and off Songjin, bombarding designated shore targets, serving as harbor entrance control vessel, and performing patrol and escort duties. After a brief availability in Sasebo, Burlington returned to the combat zone and, from 11 May to 8 June, resumed bombardment and patrol duties from Wonsan to Chongjin. During the summer of 1951, the frigate served with Task Force (TF) 92 and TF 77 performing escort duty in the replenishment area off the east coast of Korea. Burlington entered Yokosuka for overhaul late in September and returned to escort duty in Korean waters on 5 December.
Until early July 1952, the frigate continued combat operations, periodically returning to Sasebo for repairs and training. She departed Sasebo on 3 July bound for the Philippine Islands where she participated in exercises off the west coast of Luzon and cruised as far south as Davao, Mindanao. She departed Manila Bay on 3 September to return to Yokosuka, where she was decommissioned on 15 September 1952. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 May 1953, and she was sold to the government of Colombia on 26 June 1953. She operated with the Colombian Navy under the name Almirante Brión.
Burlington earned two battle stars for her World War II service and five battle stars for service in the Korean conflict.
Raymond A. Mann
21 November 2005