A solid wall like structure raised for defense; also, the side of a ship above the upper deck.
Bulwark (AMc 66) was renamed Avenge (AMc 66) (q.v.) on 23 May 1941.
(AMc 68: dp. 195; l. 97'1"; b. 22'0"; dr. 8½' (mean) (f.); s.10.0 k. cpl. 17; a. 2 .50 cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
The first Bulwark (AMc 68) was laid down on 15 April 1941 at East Boothbay, Maine, by Hodgden Bros. & Goudy & Stevens; launched on 6 October 1941; sponsored by Miss Barbara Small; and placed in service at Boston, Mass., on 5 February 1942, Ens. Lawrence Dana, USNR, in charge.
Assigned to the section base at Boston, Bulwark spent her entire Navy career patrolling the waters of the 1st Naval District. She searched for submarines in coastal waters and for enemy offensive mines in those same areas. The warship also served as a training platform for minesweeping students based at Provincetown, Mass. Bulwark was placed out of service at the Boston Naval Shipyard on 18 June 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 3 July 1946, and she was sold to the city of Boston on 12 September 1946.
Raymond A. Mann
22 November 2005