A county in southeastern Alabama established on 5 December 1866.
(AK 165: dp. 7,450; l. 338'6"; b. 50'0"; dr. 21'1"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 85; a. 1 3"; cl. Alamosa; T. C1-M-AV1)
Bullock (AK 165) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 2110) on 26 September 1944 at Richmond, Calif., by Kaiser Cargo, Inc.; launched on 2 December 1944; sponsored by Mrs. J. L. Barker; acquired by the Navy on 2 March 1945; and commissioned that same day, Lt. Henry N. Barkhausen in command.
After a brief fitting out period at Oakland, Calif., the new cargo ship, with its inexperienced crew, got underway on 19 March 1945 for a shakedown cruise. Trial runs, tests of operating gear, and a full scale battle problem pointed out deficiencies in both ship and crew that received intensive work during the succeeding weeks. Bullock returned to San Francisco on 12 April and loaded hull and engine spares, radio and radar gear, and frozen and chilled provisions to carry to the Admiralty and the Philippine Islands. The cargo ship departed San Francisco on 20 April and headed for Manus where she arrived 23 days later.
Between 13 May and 14 December, Bullock ferried military passengers and cargo between Manus, the Philippines, the Netherlands East Indies, and New Guinea. Having entered the war late and consigned to rear areas, the cargo ship never faced an enemy air or surface attack, although, while underway, she still steered zigzag courses and held battle drills because the threat of submarine attack, remote though it was, still existed. Bullock's mission did not change with the cessation of hostilities in August. She continued to transport supplies until 14 December, when she weighed anchor at Manila Bay and headed for the United States.
Bullock transited the Panama Canal on 28 January 1946 and reported to the Atlantic Fleet for duty. She arrived in Norfolk on 8 February, but received orders to Baltimore to be decommissioned. Bullock was decommissioned and returned to the Maritime Commission on 13 March 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 March 1946. She was operated by Dichmann, Wright, and Pugh in 1947 and then sold to the Turkish government, for whom she began operation in 1948 under the name Edirne.
Mary P. Walker
23 November 2005