The popular name for the North American bison, a bovine mammal that once ranged widely across the lands that now comprise the United States.
A city in western New York state at the northeastern extreme of Lake Erie. It is the seat of government for Erie County.
The first two ships named Buffalo appear to have been named for the animal, while the later ships (including those not built) were named for the city in New York.
The name Buffalo was assigned to a projected Cleveland-class light cruiser, CL-99, on 28 December 1940; but, before her keel was laid, the ship was renamed Bataan (q.v.), reclassified an aircraft carrier, and redesignated CV-29 on 29 June 1942.
Buffalo (CL-110)--a Cleveland-class light cruiser--was laid down on 3 April 1944 at Camden, N.J., by the New York Shipbuilding Corp.; but the contract for her construction was cancelled on 12 August 1945 because of the war’s end. Her unfinished hull was scrapped.
(ScStr: dp. 6530; l. 406'1"; b. 48'3"; dr. 20'9"; s. 14.5 k.; cpl. 350; a. 2 5", 4 4"; cl. Buffalo)
The second Buffalo, an auxiliary cruiser, was built in 1892 by Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co., Newport News, Va., as El Cid. Six months later she was sold to Brazil and renamed Nictheroy. Purchased by the Navy from the Brazilian Government 11 July 1898, she was renamed Buffalo; commissioned in ordinary a week later; fitted out as an auxiliary cruiser at New York Navy Yard; and placed in full commissioned 22 September 1898, Commander J. N. Hamphill in command.
Her first cruise, from 7 December 1898 to 7 May 1899, was from New York to Manila and return, sailing east. Upon her return she was placed out of commission 3 July 1899. On 2 April 1900 she was recommissioned and served as a training vessel. As a training vessel Buffalo travelled widely. She made four voyages to the Philippines with replacement crews for the Asiatic fleet (24 April-20 October 1900), 24 December 1900-13 May 1901, 5 June-13 October 1902, and 17 December 1903-14 July 1904). All except the last, which terminated at Mare Island, began and ended at east coast ports. On her last voyage Buffalo convoyed the 1st Torpedo Flotilla to Manila. Between 12 September and 23 November 1904 she cruised in the Pacific, returning to Mare Island.
Out of commission at Mare Island from April 1905 to 17 November 1906, she then served as a transport until 1915 in the Pacific. During 17-20 December 1909 she carried Marines to Nicaragua and remained there in support until 16 March 1910. In 1911-12 she served briefly with the Asiatic Fleet in Chinese waters and during 14 November-4 December 1914 operated off Mexico. She spent 27 january-29 November 1915 out of commission at Mare Island and then rejoined the Pacific Fleet. In 1916 she again served in Mexican waters and between May and August 1917 Buffalo transported the Special Diplomatic Mission of the United States to Russia. Upon her return she was ordered into Philadelphia Navy Yard for conversion to a destroyer tender and reclassified AD-8. Conversion was completed in June 1918 and, after loading torpedo equipment at Newport, she departed for Brest, France, via Bermuda. She then proceeded to Gibraltar, where she operated as station and repair ship to destroyers and subchasers. From February until September 1919 she had similar duty with the Azores Detachment at Ponta Delgada and then returned to New York.
On 31 December 1919 Buffalo arrived at San Diego to commence her duties as repair ship and tender to Destroyer Squadrons 11 and 5, Pacific Fleet. In November 1921 she was ordered to the Asiatic station as tender to Destroyer Squadron, Asiatic Fleet, and arrived at Manila in December. During the summer of 1922 she cruised with the fleet in China waters and in September arrived at Yokohama, Japan. She returned to the west coast 8 October and was decommissioned 15 November 1922 at San Diego. She was used as a barracks ship until stricken from the Navy list 27 May 1927. She was sold four months later.
23 November 2005