Located on the west coast of Manila Bay, on the Philippine island of Luzon, the small city of Balanga is the capital of Bataan province. The Balanga River flows northeast across the Bataan peninsula before emptying into Manila Bay.
(Tug: length 69'; beam 13')
Originally built for the Spanish Navy, Balanga--a copper sheathed tug with a composite hull--lay in the Cavite Navy Yard when it was captured by American forces on 1 May 1898 and was placed in Navy service there. On 17 July 1920, the yard craft was classified as a district tug, YT 103.
Balanga was disposed of later that year, and her name was struck from the Navy list at that time.
Robert J. Cressman
14 December 2005