A coeducational college located in Yellow Springs, Ohio, was chartered in 1852 and named for the Syrian community where the followers of Christ were first called "Christians."
The "Victory" ship Alfred Victoryólaid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 745) on 28 February 1945 at Richmond, Calif., by yard no. 2 of the Permanente Metals Corp.; launched on 11 April 1945; sponsored by Mrs. W. W. McFall; and delivered to her operators, Hammond Shipping, on 7 May 1945ówas among the 12 "Victory ships earmarked for transfer from the National Defense Reserve Fleet to the Military Sea Transportation Service for augmentation of the Army Forward Floating Depot program. Although assigned the name Antioch and the designation. T-AG-180 on 1 February 1966, the ship never saw MSTS service because the project was cancelled. However, she did carry cargo to Vietnam as Bessemer Victory under a commercial charter. As of 1 July 1984, Alfred Victorylay in the Suisun Bay, Calif., berthing area of the National Defense Reserve Fleet