Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Anticline

 

A geological term designating an arch of stratified rock in which the layers bend downward in opposite directions from the crest.

 

(YO-62: dp. 2,660; 1. 235'; b. 37'; dr. 14'10"; s. 10.6 k.; cl. Bullwheel)

 

Anticline (YO-62) was laid down on 7 September 1942 at Camden, N.J., by the R. T. C. Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 20 February 1943; and commissioned at Philadelphia on 17 April 1943.

 

While she was under construction, Anticline was scheduled for service assigned to the Caribbean Sea area under the auspices of the Commandant, 10th Naval District. However, just before she went into commission, the fuel oil barge was reassigned to the South West Pacific Force; but, soon after commissioning that assignment was also cancelled. On 6 May 1943, Anticline was finally ordered to the 8th Fleet for duty in Northwest African waters. She served in that organization until near the end of 1944. During that time, the fuel oil barge participated in the latter stages of the Sicily operation and in the invasion of southern France. On 20 December 1944, Anticline was transferred to the French under the terms of the lend-lease program. Returned to the Navy on 21 March 1949, the fuel oil barge was determined to be in excess of the needs of the Navy. Accordingly, her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 April 1949. Her subsequent fate is not known.

 

Anticline earned one battle star during World War II