A city in Maryland located on the shores of the Severn River and the Chesapeake Bay. It is the capital of Maryland and the county seat for Anne Arundel County. The United States Naval Academy is located in Annapolis.
(PF-15: dp. 1,430; 1. 303'11"; b. 37'6"; dr. 13'8"; s. 20.3 k. (tl.); cpl. 180; a. 3 3", 4 40mm., 9 20mm., 2 dct., 8 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.); cl. Tacoma; T. S2-S2-AQ1)
The second Annapolis (PF-15) was laid down on 20 May 1943 at Lorain, Ohio, by the American Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 16 October 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Belva Grace McCready; and commissioned on 4 December 1944 at Galveston, Tex., Comdr.M. F. Garfield, USCG, in command.
On 13 December, the patrol frigate departed Galveston to conduct shakedown training in waters surrounding Bermuda. She conducted those exercises between 19 December 1944 and 17 January 1945. The warship arrived in Norfolk, Va., on 21 January and commenced post-shakedown availability. She concluded repairs on 17 February and, that same day, stood out of Norfolk to screen a convoy to the Mediterranean Sea. Annapolis shepherded her convoy into Oran, Algeria, on 5 March and remained there until the 13th when she got underway to escort a return convoy to the United States. She entered port at New York on 30 March. Following a period of escort duty between Norfolk and New York, she departed the latter port in the screen of another convoy bound for North Africa. Annapolis reached Oran on 10 May and departed there a week later. The patrol frigate saw her convoy safely into Philadelphia on 2 June and remained there for a fortnight.
On 16 June, she got underway for the Panama Canal Zone. She arrived in the Canal Zone on 29 June and operated from the submarine base at Coco Solo until early August. On 6 August, she arrived at San Pedro, Calif., and began duty along the west coast with the Pacific Fleet. That duty lasted through the end of the war and into 1946. On 29 May 1946, she was decommissioned at Bremerton, Wash. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 June 1946. On 24 November 1947, she was sold to the Mexican government through the Foreign Liquidation Commission of the State Department.
Annapolis (PF-15) goes down the ways, sideways, at her launching at the American Shipbuilding Co. of Lorain, Ohio, 16 October 1943. This procedure was necessitated by the constricted waters into which ships at some yards were launched. (NH 66293)