Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Andradite

 

Any several types of garnet varying widely in color.

 

(PYc-11: dp. 225; 1. 140'7"; b. 23'7"; dr. 8'10"; s. 11.5 k.; cpl. 56; a. 1 3", 1 dcp. (Y-gun), 2 dct., 2 .30-cal. mg.)

 

Andradite—a yacht built in 1927 at Bay City, Mich., by the Defoe Boat & Motor Works as Cameco—was acquired by the Navy at San Pedro, Calif., from Mr. G. L. Machris on 16 March 1942; converted for naval service by a civilian shipyard; and placed in commission at the Mare Island Navy Yard on 18 April 1942, Lt. (jg.) Anderson J. Crabb, USNR, in command.

 

Assigned to the Commander, Western Sea Frontier, she conducted patrols in San Diego harbor and in the San Francisco area. She also served in those areas as a plane guard ship and a weather station ship. On 19 December 1945, the converted yacht was decommissioned at San Pedro, Calif., and her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946. She was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 22 January 1947 for disposal.