(ARS-13: dp. 1,615; 1. 183'3"; b. 37'; dr. 14'8"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 4 20mm; cl. Anchor)
Anchor (ARS-13) was laid down on 30 April 1942 at Stockton, Calif., by the Colberg Boat Works; launched on 13 March 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Hattie M. Stevenson; and placed in commission at Stockton on 23 October 1943, Lt. R. M. Brunner in command.
During November, the salvage ship was fitted out at Stockton and at San Francisco, Calif. Early in December, she sailed to San Diego for shakedown training and salvage operations. Anchor left the west coast soon after the beginning of 1944, bound for Hawaii. Upon her arrival at Pearl Harbor on the llth, she underwent a month of repair work and then was assigned to "ready duty," which involved standing by the entrance buoys to the Pearl Harbor channel and giving assistance when necessary to passing vessels. The ship also conducted torpedo recovery duty.
On 16 July, Anchor departed Pearl Harbor and sailed for Eniwetok. She operated there during August, carrying out various duties such as recovering barges, delivering mail, transporting freight and passengers, and performing salvage operations. The ship steamed to Saipan in early September and assumed duty as blasting control vessel in addition to her salvage work. On 4 November, she left Saipan and sailed via Eniwetok back to Hawaii.
She reached Pearl Harbor on 21 November and entered a shipyard for repairs and alterations. Anchor left the yard on 7 February 1945 and shortly thereafter sailed for Eniwetok. She arrived there on 15 March and resumed salvage and towing operations. During that stint at Eniwetok, the ship conducted salvage operations on the merchant ship Esso Washington. She moved to Guam in early May and, after a brief availability, began torpedo recovery service. Later that month, the vessel got underway for Okinawa and arrived there on 9 June.
During the next seven months, the ship conducted salvage operations on sunken Japanese shipping and served as a blasting control and air raid control ship for the Okinawa area. On 11 June, she was among several ships that opened fire on four enemy planes attacking Allied ships in the anchorage. The combined fire shot down one raider.
The war in the Pacific ended when the Japanese capitulated on 15 August, but Anchor continued to operate at Okinawa until 23 February 1946, when she shaped a course for Hawaii. She paused briefly at Pearl Harbor before setting out on 23 March for a cruise that would take her to Guam, Peleliu, and Eniwetok. The salvage vessel left the latter port with PC-1170 in tow and delivered her charge at Pearl Harbor on 18 June. She remained in port for four days and then got underway for the west coast of the United States.
Anchor reached Seattle, Wash., in early July. Shortly thereafter, she reversed her course and proceeded back to Pearl Harbor. After a brief stay there, the ship sailed back to the west coast. She touched at San Francisco on 26 July before sailing on to Seattle. There, preparations were begun to deactivate the ship. Anchor was decommissioned at Seattle on 16 September 1946, and her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1946. The vessel was then transferred to the Maritime Administration. She was sold on 23 May 1947 to L. E. Castell, Seattle, Wash.
Anchor earned one battle star for her World War II service.
Anchor (ARS-13), circa 1945-1946. (NH 83809)