A son of the Greek sea god, Poseidon, and the Bethynian nymph Melia. Amycus was a famous boxer and ruled the Bebryces. When the Argonauts landed on his shores, he offered to fight their bravest warrior. Polydeuces accepted the challenge and killed Amycus in the ensuing match. The laurel which grew on his tomb would cause quarreling among the crew of any ship which carried a sprig, and harmony could not be restored until all traces of the plant had been cast overboard.
(ARL-2: dp. 4,100; 1. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 11'2"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 255; a. 1 3", 8 40mm., 8 20mm., 1 .30-cal. mg.; cl. Achelous)
Originally projected as LST-^89, this ship was redesignated ARL-2 and named Amycus on 13 January 1943. She was laid down on 17 January 1943 at Richmond, Calif., by the Kaiser Co., Inc.; launched on 2 April 1943; delivered on 3 June 1943 to the Matson Navigation Co., San Francisco, Calif., for conversion to a landing craft repair ship; and commissioned on 30 July 1943, Lt. John J. Reidy, Jr., in command.
The landing craft repair ship conducted shakedown training along the California coast before departing San Diego, Calif., on 20 September 1943 and heading for the South Pacific to join the Service Forces of the 7th Fleet. She made port calls at Pago Pago, American Samoa; Noumea, New Caledonia; Brisbane and Port Townsville, Australia; and Milne Bay, New Guinea. On 29 November, the vessel arrived at Buna, New Guinea, where she joined Task Force 76. She remained at Buna until late April 1944 servicing and repairing small escort vessels and landing boats.
On 25 April 1944, Amycus got underway for Cape Cretin, New Guinea, where she joined a convoy bound for Hollandia, New Guinea. She reached that base on 3 May and assumed duty as a repair ship and the flagship of the landing craft control officer. The ship remained in Humboldt Bay through the summer and autumn carrying out repair and tender services for various landing craft. On 20 December, Amycus left Hollandia and proceeded to Seeadler Harbor, Manus Island. Seven days later, she sortied with a task group destined to take part in the Lingayen Gulf landings. As her convoy crossed the South China Sea, there were numerous air raid alerts, but only one attack materialized. On 7 January 1945, two enemy planes came in low to attack. One was shot down by a screening vessel, and the other broke off her approach and escaped undamaged.
Amycus anchored in Lingayen Gulf on 9 January, and the bombardment of the Luzon beaches began at 0700 that day. Shortly thereafter, the ship began repairing battle-damaged landing craft. During the Allied assault, Amycus fired intermittently at enemy aircraft. While at anchor on 28 January, a friendly plane accidentally jettisoned a bomb which exploded about 60 feet off her port quarter. Shrapnel from the explosion killed three and wounded nine crew members and caused minor damage to the repair ship's hull.
Amycus remained in Lingayen Gulf through 26 June when she sailed for Subic Bay, Philippine Islands. Upon her arrival there, the ship operated under Service Squadron 3 at the naval base at Subic Bay. The end of the war in the Pacific in August found Amycus still providing services at Subic Bay. She remained there until 27 October when she shaped a course for the United States. The ship reached San Francisco on 30 November 1945 and later steamed to Portland, Oreg. Decommissioned on 15 November 1946, she joined the Pacific Reserve Fleet in the Columbia River. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 June 1970. She was sold for scrapping on 13 August 1971 to Zidell Explorations, Inc., Portland, Oreg.
Amycus earned two battle stars for her World War II service.