A star in the constellation Canis Major.
(AK-72: dp. 14,250; 1. 441'6"; b. 56'10"; dr. 27'9"; s. 11 k.; cpl. 198; a. 1 5", 1 3"; cl. Crater; T. EC2-S-C1)
Robert T. Lincoln was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MCE hull 437) on 28 October 1942 at Richmond, Calif., by the Permanente Metals Corp.; launched on 7 December 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Dorothy A. Rainbow; renamed Aludra (AK-72) on 30 October 1942; delivered to the Navy on 14 December 1942; and placed in commission at San Francisco, Calif., on 26 December 1942, Lt. Comdr. Dale E. Collins in command.
The new cargo ship joined the Pacific Fleet and held brief shakedown training before departing the west coast on 7 January 1943. She anchored in Dumbea Bay, New Caledonia, on 29 January. The vessel got underway on 2 February for Havannah Harbor, Efate Island, and arrived there two days later. Aludra continued on to Espiritu Santo, where she remained from 11 February through 6 May.
The vessel left Espiritu Santo on the 6th in company with Brooks (APD-10). The two ships reached Brisbane, Australia, on 11 May and took on cargo. Aludra sailed on the 17th for Auckland, New Zealand. She arrived there on 23 May and spent one week in port taking on supplies and equipment. The ship left Auckland on 30 May but returned that same day to repair a steering casualty. She got underway again on the 31st.
Aludra made port calls at Noumea, New Caledonia, and Guadalcanal. She departed the latter port on 22 June, bound for Espiritu Santo. At 0444 on 23 June, a torpedo fired by Japanese submarine RO-103 hit Aludra's port side and exploded. Approximately five hours later, at 0933, the cargo ship sank in over 2,000 fathoms of water. Two of her crew members were killed and 12 were wounded.
Aludra earned one battle star for her World War II service