A word in the Navajo Indian language meaning "wars passed each other" or "wars raged in two places and in opposite directions." The term probably refers to the modern concept of a two-front war.
(YTB-494: dp. 240; 1. l00'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. l0'0"; s. 11 k.; cl. Pessacus)
Alnaba (YTB-194) was laid down on 25 September 1944 at Brooklyn, N.Y., by Ira S. Bushey & Sons; launched on 11 December 1944; delivered to the Navy on 14 May 1945; and was placed in reserve at Orange, Tex. The large harbor tug remained inactive until July of 1952 when she was placed in service in the 6th Naval District based at Charleston, S.C. She spent the next 14 years operating in the 6th Naval District. In February of 1962, Alnaba was redassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTMW94. Sometime in 1966, she was reassigned to the 10th Naval District; based at San Juan, Puerto Rico; and served there for the remainder of her naval career. That service ended in 1972. Sources differ over the date her name was struck from the Navy list. One source indicates that it was struck on 1 January 1972 while another suggests sometime in July 1972. In any event, she was sold on 14 July 1972 to T.N.T. Marine Service, Inc., of San Juan