Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Allaquippa

 

The name of a woman who served as a leader (sachem) in the Delaware Indian tribe around the middle of the 18th century. She lived in what is now Allegheny County, Pa. It is said that a small Delaware village located nearby bore her name.

 

(YT-174: dp. 206; 1. 102'2"; b. 24'0"; dr. 10'; s. 12 k. (tl.); cpl. 15; cl. Allaquippa)

 

Allaquippa (YT-174)—a tug built in 1941 at Port Arthur, Tex., by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works—was purchased by the Navy on 15 June 1941 and placed in service in August 1941.

 

Assigned to the 3d Naval District, Allaquippa operated from the base at New London, Conn., through the end of World War II. On 15 May 1944, she was reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-174. For a decade after the return of peace, the harbor tug continued to serve in the 3d Naval District. In September 1955, Allaquippa was reassigned to the 1st Naval District. In February 1962, she was reclassified a medium harbor tug and redesignated YTM-174. The tug served in New England waters until the spring of 1969 when she was transferred to the 5th Naval District. For the remainder of her active career, Allaquippa operated around Norfolk, Va. She was placed out of service sometime during the first half of 1973, and her name was stricken from the Navy list in June 1973. Presumably, she was sold for scrap soon thereafter.