Alice—a screw tug built at Philadelphia in 1864—was purchased there by the Navy on 25 July 1864 and renamed Aster (q.v.) before being placed in commission on 12 August of that year.
(Tug: dp. 356; 1. 101'9"; b. 25'6"; dr. 8'0"; s. 10 k.; a. 2 6-pdrs.)
The first Alice—a tug constructed in 1893 at Tompkins Cove, N.Y., by Roderman & Co.—was purchased by the Navy from John M. Worth on 26 March 1898 and was placed in commission at Norfolk, Va., on 6 April 1898. The tug spent her entire 18-year Navy career at Norfolk operating as a supply tug. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 April 1916, and she was sold to Mr. Field S. Pendleton