|Algonquin pierside at the New York Navy Yard, Brooklyn, N.Y. circa April 1898. Note the 6-millimeter Colt machine gun mounted aft, the 13-star boat flag, and how the name is painted in white--with punctuation. Also note interested citizenry on the pier, along with a horse-drawn cart. Close investigation of the original print discloses how the figurehead of a bull (reflecting the tug’s original name, El Toro) is mounted above the pilot house. (U.S. Navy Bureau of Ships Photograph 19-N-14971, National Archives and Records Administration, Still Pictures Branch, College Park, Md.)|
A native American tribe that inhabited the Ottawa River valley.
(Tug: displacement 187 (normal); length 90'0"; beam 19'0"; draft 8'5" (mean); speed 10 knots; complement 12; armament 1 6-pounder, 1 Colt 6-millimeter machine gun)
El Toro – an iron-hulled tug completed in 1891 at Newport News, Va., by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry Dock Co. -- was acquired by the U.S. Navy on 26 March 1898 from the Southern Pacific Railroad Co., renamed Algonquin; and commissioned on 2 April 1898, Ens. Walter S. Crosley in command.
Between late 1900 and December of 1911 Accomac successively served as a yard tug at Port Royal, S.C.; Key West, Fla.; and Pensacola, Fla. On 4 December 1911, she arrived at the Boston (Mass.) Navy Yard where she spent the remainder of her active career. She was renamed Nottoway on 1 August 1918 in General Order No. 408, and on 17 July 1920, when the Navy adopted the alphanumeric system of hull designations, she was classified as a district tug, YT 18.
On 5 October 1942, her name was cancelled, and she became simply YT 18. On 15 May 1944, she was redesignated as a little harbor tug, YTL 18. Placed out of service at Boston on 3 April 1946, YTL 18 was stricken from the Navy list on 17 April 1946, and sold on 15 October 1946 to Mr. Arthur M. Hall, of Boston.
Robert J. Cressman