A word, purportedly of American Indian origin, whose definition has not been found.
(YTB-229: dp. 400; 1. 110'0"; b. 27'0"; dr. 11'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 20; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Cahto)
Alarka (YTB-229) was laid down on 31 August 1944 at Green-port (Long Island), N.Y., by the Greenport Basin & Construction Co.; launched on 20 January 1945; sponsored by Mrs. Horace W. Watts, the head of the William and Watts firm which performed electrical work under subcontract during the construction of the tug; delivered to the Navy on 5 April 1945; and placed in service on 6 April 1945. Early in May, the large harbor tug departed New York and proceeded, via the Panama Canal and Pearl Harbor, to the western Pacific. She arrived in Buckner Bay, Okinawa, late in August or early in September. She served there and later at Sasebo, Japan, where she was placed out of service sometime late in 1946. On 23 December 1946, she was sold to the Chinese Supply Commission. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 28 January 1947