(PG-87: dp. 1,375 (f.); 1. 205'0"; b. 33'0"; dr. 14'7"; s. 16.5 k. (tl.); cpl. 90; a. 2 3", 4 20mm., 4 dcp., 1 dcp. (hh.), 2 dct.; cl. Action)
The second Alacrity (PG-87)—a gunboat constructed in Collingwood, Ontario, Canada, by the Collingwood Shipyard, Ltd. —was acquired by the United States Navy on 6 January 1942; launched on 4 September 1942; and commissioned at Collingwood on 10 December 1942, Lt. H. M. Godsey, USNR, in command.
By 31 December, the gunboat had moved to Sorel, Quebec, where she remained into March 1943. On the 3d, she got underway to descend the St. Lawrence River, bound ultimately for Boston, Mass. On 5 March, she stopped at Quebec and remained there for two months. Alacrity resumed her voyage on 5 May and arrived at the Boston Navy Yard Annex on the 12th. She remained there until sometime in mid-July, when she sailed for Bermuda and shakedown training in the waters surrounding that island group. She completed shakedown on 15 August and arrived in New York three days later. After a round-trip voyage apiece to Norfolk, Va., and Boston, Alacrity entered the navy yard at Boston for post-shakedown repairs on 21 September.
She got underway again on 25 September and began escorting ships between New York and the Caribbean. For the next eight months, the gunboat screened coastwise merchant traffic on the New York-to-Guantanamo Bay circuit. Early in May 1944, she added Key West, Fla., to her itinerary but, soon thereafter, resumed her New York-Guantanamo Bay shuttles exclusively. In May 1945, she ceased voyages to Cuba when she was reassigned from the Atlantic Fleet to the Eastern Sea Frontier. For the remainder of the war, Alacrity served along the east coast— first at Staten Island, then at New York, and—by mid-July—at Charleston, S.C. By 1 August 1945—although still based at Charleston—she had been reassigned to the 6th Naval District. She was still at Charleston when placed out of commission on 4 October 1945. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 24 October 1945. She was transferred to the War Shipping Administration on 22 September 1947 for final disposition.