(AM-83: dp. 295; 1. 173'8"; b. 23'; dr. 6'6"; s. 16 k.; cpl. 65; a. 1 3", 1 40mm.; cl. Adroit)
Advent (AM-83) was laid down on 18 August 1941 at Portland, Oreg., by the Commercial Iron Works; launched on 12 March 1942; and commissioned on 19 August 1942, Lt. K. A. Tuttle in command.
Advent served on escort and patrol duty in the South and West Pacific throughout World War II. From 2 May until 8 October 1943, she operated out of Noumea, New Caledonia, on convoy screening duty. Her ports of call included Espiritu Santo; Sydney, Australia; Tongatabu; Efate, New Hebrides; and Guadalcanal.
The ship changed her base of operations to Guadalcanal in mid-October 1943. She made numerous runs to Espiritu Santo; the Treasury Islands; Noumea; Efate; Bougainville, Solomon Islands; Sydney; and Ulithi. On 1 June 1944, the name Advent was dropped, and the ship was designated PC-1587.
Between late August and mid-October 1944, PC-1587 was based at Espiritu Santo. The highlight of her service during this period was her rescue on 11 October of the crew of a downed PBY aircraft. During November, the patrol craft operated from Guadalcanal; and, on 4 December, she shifted to Ulithi. By April 1945, PC-1587 had completed five convoy runs to Kossol Roads, Palau Islands, and one to Guam.
In April, PC-1587 assumed patrol duty at Saipan. The ship also escorted convoys to Iwo Jima, the Bonin Islands, Guam, and Tinian. On 17 October, she set a course for the California coast, sailing via Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor. She dropped anchor in San Francisco Bay on 13 November 1945.
Preparations for her deactivation were begun soon after reaching the west coast, and PC-1587 was decommissioned on 22 January 1946. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 25 February 1946, and she was transferred to the Maritime Commission on 18 March 1948 for disposal.