Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Advantage

 

(ATR-41: dp. 1,360; l. 165'5"; b. 33'4"; dr. 15'10" (f.); s. 12 k.; cpl. 52; a. 1 3", 2 20mm.; cl. ATR-1)

 

ATR-41—a rescue tug built in 1942 and 1943 at Orange, Tex., by the Levingston Shipbuilding Co.—was transferred to the United Kingdom under terms of the lend-lease program sometime in April 1943. Records differ as to the exact date, varying between the 19th and the 23d. Named Advantage and assigned the pendant number W. 133, she served the Royal Navy through the end of World War II. Returned to the United States Navy sometime in late 1945 or early 1946, the rescue tug was struck from the Navy list on 12 April 1946. By 31 July 1948, she had been sold in trie Philippines to Bosey, Board of Supplies, Executive Yuan (the Chinese Government's agency in charge of disposal of surplus war material given by the United States Government to China.)