(AM-137: dp. 850; l. 184'6"; b. 33'; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)
Originally projected as AMC-114 but redesignated prior to the start of construction, Adopt (AM-137) was laid down on 8 April 1942 at Tampa, Fla., by the Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc.; launched on 18 October 1942; sponsored by Mrs. Elizabeth H. Hastings; and commissioned on 31 May 1943, Lt. Frank Robert Edrington in command.
After conducting shakedown training off Key West, Fla., the minesweeper proceeded to the Norfolk Navy Yard for post-shakedown availability and then began a series of minesweeping tests and exercises at Little Creek, Va., and at Solomons Island, Md. These operations occupied her into early September, when she sailed for the west coast. Adopt made a brief stop at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, before transiting the Panama Canal and joining the Pacific Fleet. She reached San Diego, Calif., on 25 September.
Adopt operated at San Diego as an escort ship through 26 May 1944. That same month, she reported for duty to the Commander of the Western Sea Frontier. She left the west coast on 6 June and shaped a course for Pearl Harbor. The ship took part in a 10-day period of antisubmarine warfare exercises in Hawaiian waters under the auspices of Commander, Task Force 1. On 23 June, she departed Hawaii in a convoy bound for Alaska.
The minesweeper reached Adak, Alaska, on 29 June. She was subsequently based at the Naval Operating Base, Kuluk Bay, Alaska. During her service in Alaskan waters, Adopt carried out tactical and gunnery drills, held minesweeping exercises, and provided convoy escort services. In June 1945, she steamed into the anchorage at Cold Harbor, Alaska, to begin training exercises for a crew of Russian seamen until mid-July. On 19 July
1945, Adopt was decommissioned and transferred to the Soviet Union under the terms of lend-lease. The vessel later served the Soviet Navy as T-552. The Navy redesignated the vessel MSF-7 on 7 February 1955. The Naval Vessel Register of 1 January 1958 stated that the ship had been destroyed by the Russians by demolition and noted that an appropriate settlement had been agreed upon by the two nations.