An authority on naval architecture and marine engineering who served as Chief of the Navy Department's Bureau of Construction and Repair from 1914 to 1922. See David W. Taylor (DD-551), Vol. II, page 244, for biographical information on Admiral Taylor.
Admiral D. W. Taylor (AP-128)—projected as an Admiral W. S. Benson-class transport—was laid down on 28 August 1944 at Alameda, Calif., by the Bethlehem Alameda Shipyard, Inc., under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 686). However, her acquisition by the Navy was cancelled on 16 December 1944. Nevertheless, the ship was completed after the war; and she was operated by the American President Lines for the Maritime Commission as SS President Cleveland.