While still on the building ways, Adamant (AMc-61) was renamed Acme (AMc-61) (q.v.) on 17 May 1941.
(AMc-62: dp. 185; l. 97'1"; b. 22'0"; dr. 9'0"; s. 10.0 k.; cpl. 17; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Accentor)
Adamant (AMc-62) was laid down on 31 March 1941 at Green-port, Long Island, N.Y., by the Greenport Basin & Construction Co. as Advance; renamed Adamant on 17 May 1941; launched on 7 June 1941; sponsored by Mrs. Kelly Hunter, a niece of Secretary of the Treasury Henry Morganthau, Jr.; and placed in service on 26 September 1941 at the New York Navy Yard, Lt. (jg.) R. A. L. Ellis, USNR, in charge.
The coastal minesweeper completed fitting out at Brooklyn, N.Y., before getting underway on 23 October 1941 for Hampton Roads, Va. She arrived at Norfolk the following day and reported for duty to the Commandant, 5th Naval District. She completed shakedown training in Chesapeake Bay and, on 13 November, began duty with the 5th Naval District Inshore Patrol forces. She operated in and around Norfolk until late May 1944 when she was reassigned to the 1st Naval District. She arrived at Boston, Mass., on 29 May 1944 and served in New England coastal waters until June 1945. On 18 June 1945, Adamant departed Boston for Charleston, S.C. She arrived at her destination on 28 June and served for almost six months in the 6th Naval District. On 18 December 1945, the minesweeper was placed out of service at Charleston. Although her name was struck from the Navy list on 8 January 1946, the former warship remained in Navy custody at Charleston for another 14 months. On 3 March 1947, she was sold to Mr. Lloyd Lambert, of Baltimore, Md., for scrapping.