(Sch; t. 122; cpl. 50; a. 2 guns)
The second Active—a schooner built in Baltimore as Clara— was purchased by the Navy in September 1837 for use in the Wilkes Exploring Expedition, but she was found to be unsuitable for that mission. Under the command of Lt. William G. Woolsey, she made a brief cruise along the eastern seaboard serving as a relief ship for merchantmen in distress. She was sold during the summer—some sources suggest the month of July—of 1838.