Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Achigan

 

A French-Canadian rendering of the word ashigan which, in Chippewa and Algonquin dialects, is the name of the small mouth bass.

 

(YTB-218: dp. 410; l. 110'0"; b. 27'0"; dr. 11'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; cl. Cahto)

 

Achigan (YT-218) was laid down on 23 July 1943 at Ipswich, Mass., by W. A. Robinson, Inc.; redesignated a large harbor tug and reclassified YTB-218 on 15 May 1944; launched on 4 October 1944; and placed in service on 9 January 1945.

 

Assigned to the 4th Naval District, Achigan spent most of her naval career at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard. On the afternoon of 8 January 1946, she sank at Philadelphia as a result of a collision with General J. C. Breckenridge (AP-176). Later salvaged, the tug returned to service at Philadelphia in mid-1947. Achigan served there until the summer of 1956 when she was transferred to the 6th Naval District. The meager record of her service indicates that the tug served in the 6th Naval District into 1957 and was disposed of later that year.