(ARS-30: dp. 400; l. 129'6"; b. 32'; dr. 14'; s. 12 k.; a. 2 6-pdrs.)
Accelerate (ARS-30) was a steam-propelled mooring tender built in 1921 by Kyle & Purdy, City Island, N.Y., as Toteco for the International Petroleum Co. Either late in 1929 or early 1930, the vessel was acquired by Elmer D. Walling of Montclair, N.J., and renamed Walling. After the United States entered World War II, the Navy acquired her at New York City from Mr. Walling on 2 April 1942; classified her as a salvage vessel, ARS-30, on 11 April 1943; and simultaneously renamed her Accelerate. No conversion was deemed necessary to prepare her for Navy use. Between these last two events, she may have been used privately by the Merritt, Chapman, Scott Co. because the Navy accepted her back from the company on 5 September 1946.
Records on the ship's naval career are scarce and in some matters confusing, if not contradictory. It appears that Accelerate was assigned to the 3d Naval District throughout her service in the Navy. She was apparently operated under contract with the Navy by the Merritt, Chapman, and Scott Co. in waters near New York City. Some evidence exists indicating that the salvage vessel was placed in commission on 15 March 1945; but, if so, no logs of her service have been found, and no record of her decommissioning has survived.
The Navy declared the vessel surplus in February 1946 and her name was stricken from the Navy list on 7 February 1947. On 28 August 1947, the ship was transferred to the War Shipping Administration of the Maritime Commission for disposal.
The ship was sold in 1948 to C. Pateras and G. Glyptis of Venezuela. Soon renamed Marigo, she served several owners under the Venezuelan flag, bearing the names Marigo and George. In the late 1970's, she was registered as George and owned by Maritima Venezolana de Navegacion, S.A.