Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Azalea

 

Any of a large group of shrubs cultivated for their bountiful blossoms of widely varied colors.

 

III

 

(MB: t. 22; l. 61'6"; dr. 4'3"; s. 16.0 k.; cpl. 7; a. 1 mg.)

 

Azalea—a wooden-hulled motor launch built in 1915 at Wilmington, Calif., by the Joe Fellows Yacht and Launch Co., and owned in 1917 by the Department of Labor's Bureau of Immigration, was turned over to the Navy and commissioned on 14 May 1917.

 

Her extant logs, which did not commence until 25 November 1917, and show a Warrant Machinist George A. Perkins, USNRF, in command, reveal a very busy regimen for the former Immigration Service launch, as she operated out of the section headquarters at San Pedro, Calif., patrolling Los Angeles harbor. Her routine—involving the checking of ships both arriving at, or clearing, the busy west coast port—called upon her to investigate a substantial number of ships and craft of all sizes, ranging from tuna boats to tankers. For example, during the week ending 22 December 1917, she conducted 1,892 inspections.

 

Her wartime work done, Azalea reported for duty to the Submarine Base at San Pedro on 27 November 1918 and, on 7 December, turned in her "main battery," a single machine gun, to the training station nearby. She remained inactive until turned back to the Bureau of Immigration at noon on 26 February 1919. Her name was simultaneously struck from the Navy list.

 

Resuming her work with the Immigration Service, Azalea plied the waters of San Pedro harbor until 1923, after which time her name disappeared from listings of small craft of the Department of Labor