Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Azalea

 

Any of a large group of shrubs cultivated for their bountiful blossoms of widely varied colors.

 

II

 

(LHT: t. 500; l. 145'; b. 25'; cpl. 22)

 

The lighthouse tender Azalea was built at New York City in 1891 for the United States Lighthouse Service. Transferred to the Navy on 16 April 1917, she was commissioned on 9 May and assigned to the 1st Naval District for which she salvaged navigational aids, adjusted buoys, and tended nets through the Armistice and into 1919. Following the return of peace the tender returned to the Lighthouse Service in accordance with an Executive Order dated 1 July 1919