A Hopi Indian word meaning "high place of the bow." The term may refer to the Bow people and was applied to a former Hopi pueblo located on a mesa in northeastern Arizona.
(YTB-264: dp. 410: l. 110'0"; b. 27'0"; dr. 11'4"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 12; a. 2 .50-cal. mg.; c1. Cahto)
Awatobi (YT-264) was laid down on 27 March 1944 at Tacoma, Wash., by the J. M. Martinac Shipbuilding Corp.; reclassified a large harbor tug and redesignated YTB-264 on 15 May 1944; launched on 30 September 1944; and placed in service on 1 February 1945.
Awatobi served out her entire naval career as a harbor tug in the 12th Naval District. She was deactivated in 1960, and her name was stricken from the Navy list in December 1960. The details of her disposition are not available
Awatobi (YTB-264) assists Rochester (CA-124) in departing the Mare Island Naval Shipyard, 20 September 1953. Dekaury (YTB-178) is at left. (NH 84584)