(MB: t. 17 (gross); l. 52'; b. 11'6"; dr. 4' (aft); s. 10 k.; cpl. 8; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 mg., 5 rifles)
The wooden-hulled motorboat Avisóbuilt in 1908 at Manitowoc, Wis., by Bergerówas acquired by the Navy from R. W. and H. R. Phillips for service as a section patrol boat. Enrolled and ordered delivered on 28 July 1917 and assigned the classification SP-382, Avis was commissioned on 28 July, Chief Boatswain's Mate Richard W. Phillips, USNRF (one of her pre-war owners), in command.
Attached to the 9th, 10th, and 11th Naval Districts, Avis sailed from Waukegan, 111., in September 1917 to take up her duty station at the section headquarters at Sault Sainte Marie, Mich. The boat patrolled the approaches to that vital canal system which connects Lake Superior and Lake Huron into the early winter of 1917. Shifting to Detroit, Mich., on 10 November 1917, Avis reached the patrol boat slip on that day and immediately began preparations for being laid-up during the winter months when the surfaces of the lakes would be frozen. On 15 November she turned over her logs to the section commander at Detroit.
The following spring, Avis was towed from Detroit to Sault Sainte Marie by the training ship Isla de Luzon between 9 and 12 May 1918 and carried out reactivation until 1 June, when she resumed patrolling "the Soo." The armistice of 11 November meant an end of Avis' naval activities. She was returned to her owner by 15 November 1918, and her name was struck from the Navy list