Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Avalon

 

A mythical island in the Arthurian legends located somewhere to the west of England and believed to be an earthly paradise.

 

__________

 

(MB: t. 16 (gross); 1. 46'0"; b. 10'6"; dr. 3'1" (mean); s. 8.6 k.)

 

Avalon—a motorboat constructed in 1908 at Greenport, Long Island, N.Y., by the Greenport Basin & Construction Co.—was inspected for possible service on section patrol duty and taken into Navy custody on 19 May 1917 by officials of the 3d Naval District. Although her name appeared on, and was struck from, the Navy list, no records have been found that indicate Avalon was ever commissioned by the Navy. The sources, however, suggest that she was in Navy custody until returned to her owner on 22 December 1918. Her name was struck from the Navy list that same day.

 

__________

 

Blue Ridge (Id. No. 2432) (q.v.) was renamed Avalon on 18 August 1919 by order of the Office of the Secretary of the Navy even though her name had been struck from the Navy list on 7 July 1919.

 

__________

 

DSRV-2—a deep submergence rescue vehicle or diving bell— was informally referred to as Avalon, though officially regarded as an unnamed service craft