Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Aurora

 

The Roman goddess of the morning often depicted in art as rising from the ocean in a chariot. Also a luminous phenomenon that consists of streamers or arches of light in the sky at night. The auroras are believed to be of electrical origin and are best observed in Arctic and Antarctic regions.

 

(Tug: t. 234; l. 110'0"; b. 26'8"; s. 12 k.; cpl. 20; a. 1 1-pdr.)

 

Aurora (SP-345)—a tug built in 1906 at Camden, N.J., by John H. Dialogue—was chartered by the Navy from the Lehigh Valley Railroad on 9 August 1917 and commissioned at Port Richmond, N.Y., on 22 September 1917. She was assigned to the 3d Naval District for duty as a minesweeper. She operated in that capacity out of Port Richmond until December 1918. At that time, Aurora was transferred to the Naval Overseas Transportation Service (NOTS) which used her as a tug at Tompkinsville, N.Y. On 24 March 1919, NOTS officials placed her out of commission and returned her to her owner. Her name was struck from the Navy list that same day.