Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Augury

 

(AM-149: dp. 650; 1. 184'6"; b 33'0"; dr. 9'9"; s. 14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)

 

Augury (AM-149) was laid down on 7 December 1942 at Tampa, Fla., by the Tampa Shipbuilding Co., Inc.; launched on 23 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. Helen K. MacLean; and commissioned on 17 March 1943, Lt. A. G. Wood, USNR, in command.

 

After fitting out, Augury completed shakedown training out of Little Creek, Va., during the month between 8 April and 8 May 1943. On 10 May, she got underway as part of the escort for a convoy bound for the west coast. She and her charges arrived in the Canal Zone on 19 May, transited the Panama Canal soon thereafter, and continued on up the western coast of North America. The minesweeper entered port at San Francisco, Calif., on 2 June and remained there until the 22d. Resuming her journey on the latter day, she shaped a course for Alaskan waters. Augury arrived at Kodiak, Alaska, on 29 June and reported for duty with Task Force (TF) 91. For the remainder of her career with the United States Navy, the minesweeper plied the waters surrounding the Aleutian Islands escorting ships between such ports as Kodiak, Dutch Harbor, Adak, Amchitka, Attu, Shemya Island, and Chernofski and conducted minesweeping operations in the bays, inlets, and passes along the archipelago.

 

On 23 June 1945, Augury began four weeks of familiarization training for a crew of Russians in preparation for the warship's transfer to the Soviet Union. On 18 July 1945, Augury was decommissioned and simultaneously transferred to the Soviet Navy under the terms of the lend-lease program. Commissioned as T-524, she was retained by the Soviet Union indefinitely. Her name was finally struck from the Navy list on 1 January 1983.