A city in western Indiana situated on the banks of the Wabash River and a village in western New York about 30 miles east of Buffalo.
(PCS-1383: dp. 338 (f.) (lim.); 1. 136'0"; b. 24'6"; dr. 8'7"; s. 14.1 k. (tl.); cpl. 57; a. 1 40mm.; cl. PCS-1376)
PCS-1383 was laid down on 27 March 1943 at Whitestone, Long Island, N.Y., by the Wheeler Shipbuilding Corp.; launched on 23 June 1944; and commissioned at the New York Navy Yard on 7 August 1944, Lt. Edward M. Castle, USNR, in command.
The subchaser remained in the Long Island Sound area until late August when she headed south. She arrived in Key West, Fla., on 26 August; completed shakedown training; and then began duty as a school ship for the Sonar School at Key West. That assignment occupied her for the next 13 months. PCS-1383 concluded her work with the Sonar School on 28 September 1945 and sailed north to Norfolk, Va. Arriving there on 2 October, she reported for duty with the Service Force, Atlantic Fleet. Later, she became a naval reserve training ship in the 5th Naval District. PCS-1383 was decommissioned on 28 February 1947 but was placed in service on 31 July 1947.
She remained in that status until 28 February 1950 when she was placed out of service and berthed with the Norfolk Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. In May 1950, she was moved south to Green Cove Springs, Fla., where she joined the Florida Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet. She remained inactive for the remainder of her naval career, a little more than six years. On 15 February 1956, PCS-1383 was named Attica. That summer, however, Attica was found to be surplus to the needs of the Navy. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 19 July 1956. Details of her disposal have not been found.