Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060



A county in Mississippi.


(APA-130: dp. 12,450; 1. 455'; b. 62'; dr. 24'; s. 17.7 k.; cpl. 536; trp. 1,561; a. 1 5", 12 40mm., 10 20mm.; cl. Haskell;T. VC2-S-AP5)


Attala (APA-130) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MCV hull 46) on 18 July 1944 at Wilmington, Calif., by the California Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 27 September 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Paul Piggot; and simultaneously acquired by the Navy and commissioned on 30 November 1944, Comdr. William S. G. Davis in command.


After shakedown training along the west coast, the attack transport departed Seattle, Wash., on 31 January 1945. She paused at Pearl Harbor to embark troops and equipment and then got underway on 9 February, bound for Eniwetok. Attala pushed on to I wo Jima, where she arrived on 13 March. The ship spent several days there disembarking troops and unloading equipment. On the 18th, Attala moored at Saipan to take on wounded marines for passage back to the United States. She stopped briefly at Pearl Harbor to disembark passengers and then continued on to San Francisco.


On 18 April, Attala returned to Pearl Harbor. She then began a week of intensive amphibious training off Maui. Attala embarked replacement personnel, loaded cargo, and got underway on 14 May. She made stops at Saipan and Ulithi before anchoring in Leyte Gulf on 5 June. On that day, she assumed duty as a receiving ship.


Attala left the Philippines on 17 June and made stops at Eniwetok and Pearl Harbor before arriving in San Francisco on 8 July. From 12 until 20 July, Attala was in drydock at a shipyard in Everett, Wash. The ship departed the west coast on 24 July and, on 5 August, reached Eniwetok, where she joined a convoy bound for Okinawa.


On 21 August, Attala dropped anchor off Hagushi beach, Okinawa. Early in September, she took on board troops and equipment slated for occupation duty in Korea. On the 7th, she arrived at Jinsen, Korea, and—after debarking her charges— returned to Okinawa.


Attala took on board marines for transportation to Tsingtao,China. She began debarking them there on 21 November. Attala left Chinese waters on the 23d and began the long journey to the United States. Making only one stop en route at Manila, Philippines, Attala arrived in Los Angeles, Calif., on 18 December.


After voyage repairs and a period of liberty for the crew, Attala resumed operations. On 14 January 1946, she got underway for San Diego. The transport transited the Panama Canal on the 23d and then continued on to Norfolk, Va. She anchored off Hampton Roads on 1 February and began the deactivation process at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard, Portsmouth, Va. On 26 February, Attala was decommissioned. She was transferred to the War Shipping Administration for disposal. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946.


Attala earned one battle star for her World War II service