(AVG-7: dp. 9,800; 1. 492'; b. 69'6"; dr. 23'; s. 17 k.; cpl. 960; a. 2 5"; 20 40mm.; cl. Bogue)
Barnes (AVG-7) was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MC hull 171) on 7 April 1941 at San Francisco, Calif., by the Western Pipe and Steel Co. for delivery to the United States Navy; launched on 27 September 1941; sponsored by Mrs. William A. Ross; entered the Mare Island Navy Yard on 10 October 1941 for conversion; reassigned to the United Kingdon on 1 March 1942; redesignated BACV-7 on 20 August 1942; delivered to the United Kingdom under terms of the lend-lease agreement on 30 August 1942; and placed in commission in the Royal Navy on 7 October 1942.
The ship served the Royal Navy as HMS Attacker throughout World War II. Her British service included duty in the North Atlantic, the Mediterranean, and the Indian Ocean. While still in British hands, she was redesignated BCVE-7 by the United States Navy on 15 July 1943. The vessel was decommissioned by the Royal Navy on 29 December 1945 at Norfolk, Va., and returned to the custody of the United States. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 26 February 1946, and she was sold on 11 September 1946 to William B. St. John, New York City, N.Y. The ship was resold on 28 October 1946 to an Italian shipping firm for merchant service.