Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Atchison County

 

Counties in Kansas and Missouri named in honor of David Rice Atchison (1807-86), a Missouri representative, judge, and United States Senator. The Kansas county was established on 30 August 1855 with its seat at Atchison. The Missouri county was established on 23 February 1845 with its seat at Rockport.

 

(LST-60: dp. 4,080: l. 328'; b. 50'; dr. 14'1"; s. 11.6 k.; cpl. 119; a. 8 40mm.; cl. LST-1)

 

LST-60 was laid down on 14 November 1943 at Neville Island, Pittsburgh, Pa., by the Dravo Corporation; launched on 24 December; sponsored by Mrs. Daniel W. Mack; and placed in reduced commission on 24 January 1944 so that she might descend the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers—under her own power—to New Orleans where she was placed in full commission on 7 February, Lt. Carl E. Ellis in command.

 

The new tank landing ship held shakedown training off Panama City, Fla., from 19 February to 4 March; then returned to New Orleans for repairs and loading. She next moved to New York City where she took additional cargo on board for transportation to the United Kingdom. After crossing the Atlantic in convoy, LST-60 safely arrived in Falmouth, England, on 2 May. From there, she proceeded to Southend-on-Sea to load for the Normandy invasion.

 

LST-60 sailed from Southend on 5 June with Commander, Group 3, embarked for the initial assault. Following successful unloading of troops and cargo at Normandy the next day, the ship commenced crosschannel operations, making 53 trips to the French mainland without mishap before being ordered back to the United States for overhaul. Escorting a convoy en route, LST-60 safely arrived in Norfolk on 1 July 1945 and continued on to New Orleans for repairs.

 

Originally scheduled to join the Pacific Fleet following overhaul, LST-60 received new orders with the end of the war on 15 August. Instead, she proceeded to Green Cove Springs, Fla., for inactivation and was placed out of commission, in reserve, on 27 June 1946. The name Atchison County was assigned to LST-60 on 1 July 1955. In 1958, the tank landing ship was declared unfit for further naval service. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1958.

 

LST-60 earned one battle star for World War II service.