Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval Historical Center homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORICAL CENTER
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Astute

 

(AM-148: dp.  650; 1.   184'6"; b.  33'0"; dr.  9'9"; s.   14.8 k.; cpl. 104; a. 1 3", 4 40mm.; cl. Admirable)

 

Astute (AM-148) was laid down on 7 December 1942 at Tampa, Fla., by the Tampa Shipbuilding Co.; launched on 23 February 1943; sponsored by Mrs. M. L. Haney; and commissioned on 17 January 1944.

 

Following shakedown training, Astute transited the Panama Canal and joined the Pacific Fleet. She proceeded up the Pacific coast and ultimately arrived in Alaska waters where she served during the latter part of 1944 and the first half of 1945 conducting patrol and escort duty. Astute was decommissioned at Cold Bay, Alaska, on 18 July 1945 and was transferred to the Soviet Union under the terms of the lend-lease program. Astute served in the Soviet Navy as T-523. The Soviets never returned her to the United States Navy. Reclassified MSF-148 on 7 February 1955, she was carried on the United States Navy list until her name was stricken on 1 January 1983.