(IX-153: dp. 10,960 (f.); 1. 366'; b. 54'; dr. 33')
Asphalt (IX-153)—a non-self-propelled, concrete barge built in 1944 at San Francisco, Calif., by Barrett & Hilp, Belair Shipyards—was acquired by the Navy on 30 June 1944 through the Maritime Commission and was placed in service that same day. Assigned to the Service Force, Pacific Fleet, as a floating provisions storage facility, she spent her brief career at forward bases—for the most part at Saipan—as a unit of Service Squadron 10. When a storm struck the anchorage at Saipan on 6 October 1944, Asphalt's anchor chains parted, and she was driven hard aground on a coral reef. The barge was then declared a total loss. After her cargo and machinery were salvaged, she was abandoned. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 23 February 1945.