A Spanish word for creek. It may also be applied to a small, frequently dry gully or channel carved by water.
(MB: dp. 12; 1. 48'6"; b. 9'5"; dr. 3'7" (mean); s. 11.0 k.; cpl. 9; a. 1 mg.)
Arroyo (SP-197)—a motorboat constructed in 1913 at Stamford, Conn., by the Luders Marine Construction Co.—was leased by the Navy for one dollar from Mr. A. M. Huntington on 21 April 1917 and was placed in commission at the New York Navy Yard on 25 June 1917, Boatswain G. W. Berry, USNRF, in charge.
Arroyo first served in the Naval Coast Defense Reserve of the 3d Naval District. Specifically, she was attached to the radio office at the Brooklyn yard. Laid up at the Marine Basin, New York, on 2 January 1918, the motorboat was recommissioned on 18 April 1918. She departed New York on 31 May bound for the Great Lakes. There, Arroyo worked with the section patrol operating out of Detroit and St. Clair, Mich. She returned to New York just after the armistice in November 1918. On 16 December 1918, Arroyo was decommissioned and returned to her owner. Her name was struck from the Navy list that same day.