Any of a group of small, stemless, perennial herbs with narrow evergreen leaves. A former name retained.
(Lht: t. 1,600; 1. 212'; b. 34'; dr. 12'6"; a. 2 guns)
Armeria—a lighthouse tender built in 1890 at Camden, N.J. —was transferred to the Navy from the Lighthouse Service on 24 March 1898 and was converted for naval service at the Norfolk Navy Yard. Armeria's commissioning date is unknown, but her commanding officer was Lt. Comdr. Leavitt Curtis Logan. Assigned to the North Atlantic Squadron for the duration of hostilities in the Spanish-American War, she made two voyages from the United States to Cuba carrying ammunition. She entered Key West, Fla., on 9 August 1898 and, two days later, she was returned to the Lighthouse Service.