Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

Arkab

 

A star in the constellation Sagittarius.

 

(AK-130: dp. 14,550; 1. 441'6"; b. 56'11"; dr. 28'4"; s. 12.5 k.; cpl. 230; a. 1 5", 1 3", 8 20mm.; cl. Crater, T. EC2-S-C1)

 

Before the start of her construction, Warren Stone—a freighter built under a Maritime Commission contract (MCE hull 2449) at New Orleans, La., by the Delta Shipbuilding Corp.—was slated for Navy use, renamed Arkab, and designated AK-130 on 1 December 1943. Her keel was laid down on 4 December 1943; and the ship was launched on 22 January 1944; sponsored by Mrs. Charles E. Williams; acquired by the Navy; and commissioned on 21 February 1944 for passage to Mobile, Ala.; decommissioned there on 25 February 1944 for conversion by the Alabama Shipbuilding & Drydock Co.; and recommissioned on 15 May 1944, Comdr. Finnan F. Knachel in command.

 

Arkab held shakedown training in Chesapeake Bay through mid-June. She sailed on 30 June for the Pacific. After transiting the Panama Canal, Arkab moored at Pago Pago, Samoa, on 29 August. Cargo destined for New Caledonia was taken on board, and Arkab reached Noumea on 10 September. There, she embarked 200 military passengers for transportation to the west coast.

 

Upon her arrival at San Francisco, Calif., Arkab underwent voyage repairs. On 10 November, she departed the west coast on the first of a series of supply runs to bases in the Pacific. By the end of November 1945 the ship had steamed some 60,000 miles. Ports of call included Pearl Harbor; Manus Island, Admiralty Islands; Milne Bay and Langemak, New Guinea; Saipan; and Eniwetok. Although not equipped to accommodate troops, Arkab transported over 1,200 passengers during her career.

 

The ship terminated the final voyage of her career at Norfolk, Va., on 16 December. Arkab was decommissioned on 2 January 1946, turned over to the War Shipping Administration for disposal, placed in the National Defense Reserve Fleet, and laid up in the James River berthing area. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. She was sold on 21 September 1971 to N. V. Intershitra, of Rotterdam, Netherlands, and scrapped