A forest in Belgium and Luxembourg, east of the Meuse River.
(Bark: t. 242)
Ardennes—a wooden-hulled, coppered, bark built in 1845 in Newburyport, Mass.—was captured by the United States sloop-of-war Marion off the mouth of the Congo River on 27 April 1859 while "engaged in the slave trade." Cmdr. Thomas W. Brent, commanding Marion, placed a prize crew under the command of Lt. Aaron W. Weaver on board the brig and sent her back to the United States. Her only voyage as a U. S. naval vessel ended upon her arrival at New York City on 25 June. That day, Ardennes was decommissioned and turned over to the United States marshal at that port.