One who hails from the Aran Islands, which are located off the western coast of Ireland, just outside the entrance to Galway Bay.
(IX-226: dp. 14,269 (f.); l. 422.8'; b. 57'; dr. 27'8-Vs"; cpl. 110; T. EC2-S-C1)
Liberty ship Juan de Fuca was laid down under a Maritime Commission contract (MCE hull 1747) on 15 November 1942 at Vancouver, Wash., by the Kaiser Co., Inc.; launched on 27 December 1942; and delivered to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) on 11 January 1943. Throughout World War II, she served as a cargo carrier operated under a WSA contract by the Weyerhaeuser Steamship Co. She was taken over by the Navy on bare boat charter on 23 September 1945; renamed Araner (IX-226); and placed in service that same day, Lt. Henry Morath in charge.
Araner appears to have contributed very little service to the United States Navy. She was inspected by an inspection and survey board at Leyte during October—the month following the beginning of her naval service. In January 1946, probably as a result of that inspection, she received orders to be towed to Subic Bay where all her naval gear was stripped pending her deactivation. On 22 August 1946, she was placed out of service at Subic Bay and simultaneously turned over to the Maritime Commission's War Shipping Administration for disposal. That organization finally sold her to the Asia Development Corp. on 3 March 1948 for scrapping. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 29 October 1948.