An Indian clan of the Timucuan family. The Apohola, who inhabited a large portion of Florida, were prohibited from marrying members of their own clan.
(YTB-502: dp. 260; l. 100'0"; b. 25'0"; dr. 9'7" (f.); s. 12 k.; cl. Sassaba)
Apohola (YTB-502) was laid down on 20 April 1945 at Stamford, Conn., by the Luders Marine Construction Co.; launched on 8 September 1945; delivered to the Navy on 3 January 1946; and placed in service at San Diego.
By the beginning of 1947, she had moved to the east coast. Based at Norfolk, Va., Apohola spent the next 29 years plying the waters of the 5th Naval District. In March 1966, she was reclassified a medium harbor tug and was redesignated YTM-768. She served actively until February 1976. At that time, the tug was placed out of service and was turned over to the Maritime Administration (MARAD) for berthing with the James River (Va.) Group of the National Defense Reserve Fleet. Though in MARAD custody, she remained Navy property, and her name continued to appear on the Navy list. As of mid-1987, that status had not changed.