(IX-131: dp. 19,410 (f.); l. 453'0"; b. 56'0"; dr. 25'6" (f.); s. 10.2 k.; cpl. 120)
In anticipation of her acquisition by the Navy, SS Acme—a tanker built for the United States Shipping Board in 1916 at San Francisco, Calif., by the Union Iron Works—was renamed Abarenda on 3 November 1943 and simultaneously classified IX-131; purchased by the Navy on 26 February 1944; and commissioned on 18 April 1944, Lt. Comdr. Benjamin F. Lang-land, USCGR, in command.
Abarenda was assigned to Service Squadron 10 as a floating storage tanker. She served at Manus in the Admiralty Islands until 20 February 1945 when she headed for the Philippines. The tanker arrived at Leyte on 13 March and, for the remainder of the war, dispensed fuel to the warships of the 3d/5th Fleet.
Following the end of World War II, Abarenda fueled the ships supporting the occupation forces in the Far East and continued that duty until 28 February 1946 at which time she was decommissioned in the Philippines. Returned to the War Shipping Administration (WSA) that day, she was berthed with that organization's reserve fleet at Subic Bay. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 20 March 1946, and she resumed the name SS Acme while in the WSA reserve fleet. On 3 March 1948, she was sold to the Asia Development Corp. for scrapping.