A rock-clinging, gastropod mollusk.
(MB: t. 33 (gross); l. 60'0". 12'6"; dr. 3'6" (aft); s. 10 k.; cpl. 8; a. 1 1-pdr., 1 .30-cal. mg.)
Abalone—a wooden-hulled motorboat constructed in 1913 at Morris Heights, N.Y., by the New York Launch and Engine Building Co.—was acquired by the Navy on 27 April 1917 under a free lease from Arnold Schlaet of New York City and commissioned on 10 May 1917.
The sparse direct records of Abalone's day-to-day operations consist merely of a deck log, which does not even cover the craft's entire career. From other sources, though, we know that Abalone—designated SP-208—was attached to the 3d Naval District local patrol forces and was based at New Haven, Conn. From that port, she performed patrol missions with Squadrons 5 and 20. Following the signing of the armistice, she was detached from this duty on 10 December 1918 and was returned to her previous owner a fortnight later, on Christmas Eve, 1918.