Submarine No. 61 (Fleet Submarine No. 3) was laid down on 21 May 1917 at Quincy, Mass., by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co. under a contract with the Electric Boat Co. of New York; named AA-3 in accordance with the provisions of General Order No. 318 of 23 August 1917; launched on 24 May 1919; sponsored by Mrs. Lilian T. Jordan, wife of Comdr. John N. Jordan, the Cost Inspector assigned to the Fore River Shipbuilding Co.; redesignated SF-3 on 17 July 1920 when the Navy adopted the alphanumeric system of hull designations; and renamed T-3 (q.v.) on 18 October 1920 in accordance with the provisions of General Order No. 551.