Submarine No. 60 (Fleet Submarine No. 2) was laid down on 31 May 1917 at Quincy, Mass., by the Fore River Shipbuilding Co. under a contract with the Electric Boat Co. of New York; named AA-2 on 23 August 1917 in accordance with the provisions of General Order No. 318; launched on 6 September 1919; sponsored by Miss Madeline Everett, the fiancÚ of Lt. Comdr. Ames Loder, the Assistant Inspector of Machinery assigned to the Fore River Shipbuilding Co.; redesignated SF-2 on 17 July 1920 when the Navy adopted the alphanumeric system of hull designations; and renamed T-2 (q.v.) on 18 October 1920 in accordance with the provisions of General Order No. 551.