Return to DANFS IndexImage of an anchorReturn to Naval History and Heritage Command homepage
flag banner
Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships banner
DEPARTMENT OF THE NAVY -- NAVAL HISTORY AND HERITAGE COMMAND
805 KIDDER BREESE SE -- WASHINGTON NAVY YARD
WASHINGTON DC 20374-5060

A-2

 

(Submarine Torpedo Boat No. 3: dp. 107; l. 63'10"; b. 11'11"; dr. 10'7"; s. 8 k. (surf.), 7 k. (subm.); cpl. 7; a. 1 18" tt; cl. Plunger)

 

The submarine torpedo boat A-2 was originally laid down as Adder (Submarine Torpedo Boat No. 3) on 3 October 1900 at Elizabethport, New Jersey, by the Crescent Shipyard of Lewis Nixon, a subcontractor for the John P. Holland Torpedo Boat Co. of New York; launched on 22 July 1901; sponsored by Mrs. Jane S. Wainwright, wife of Rear Admiral Richard Wainwright; and commissioned on 12 January 1903 at the Holland yard at New Suffolk, N.Y., Ens. Frank L. Pinney in command.

 

After initial experimental duty at the Naval Torpedo Station at Newport, Adder was towed to the Norfolk Navy Yard by the tug Peoria, arriving there on 4 December 1903. In January 1904, the submarine torpedo boat was assigned to the Reserve Torpedo Flotilla. Placed out of commission on 26 July 1909, Adder was loaded on board the collier, Caesar, and was transported to the Philippine Islands, arriving there on 1 October 1909.

 

Recommissioned on 10 February 1910, she was assigned to duty with the 1st Submarine Division, Asiatic Torpedo Fleet. Over almost a decade, the submarine torpedo boat operated from Cavite and Olongapo, principally in training and experimental work. During this time, she was renamed on 17 November 1911, becoming simply A-2 (Submarine Torpedo Boat No. 3).

 

During World War I, she carried out patrols off the entrance to Manila Bay, and around the island of Corregidor. Decommissioned on 12 December 1919, A-2 (assigned the alphanumeric hull number SS-3 on 17 July 1920) was designated for use as a target on 24 September 1920. She was struck from the Naval Vessel Register on 16 January 1922.